Skip to main content

Blood Stains On The Pavement


Blood stains on the pavement
The footprints of an extinguishing life force

Squalor, death and rust
They care not for us

Gunshots, disembodied screams
And the ever-present swan song of police sirens

Little kids play on concrete streets
No place to house innocence when home possesses no safety,
Nor does it offer security

In the men we can never trust, devoid of wisdom and humility   
Masculinity as fragile as a wine glass

We once wore deviance as the voice of the silenced
Now we neatly tuck it away together with all the agency of our womanhood

We weave street lights like moths to flame
My brothers forget us
My sisters allow it
And the children cannot help but witness it

They placate our existence with the amnesia we find at the bottom of a bottle
They wait like vultures

They poison us with unsolicited prescriptions,
When only they carry the sickness

Young boys raise hands and fists
For a cause rooted only in violence

We die, cry and subscribe to the brutality
The black man has lost his humanity

Because to intervene and interrogate is the seal to a dying fate
Hate, venom, the thickened slime and grime of the misplaced

Comments

  1. damn, your writing is personified, it feels as you writing of your experiences, it sounds like a shout(Scream) for help and now its deeper not because of tirey because of disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a reflection of my time spent here in Joburg CBD. It speaks to all the hate and harassment we as women suffer from.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Do you remember

Do you remember when voices from the past called me to your side Do you remember when both our heartbeats were the toughest to hide Do you remember when you called me a gift because to you time had never been too kind Do you remember when you said my stubbornness was my strength and not a weakness Do you remember the holes we patched over like a seasoned seamstress Do you remember when you touched me and it felt so good I couldn't imagine how I had existed with so much less Do you remember when we got home and all you wanted to see was my body underneath that dress Do you remember when you whispered love and chuckled like you were new to this Do you remember when our eyes met and it was as natural as coming up for a kiss Do you remember when you made me laugh until my belly was sore Do you remember when you promised you wanted to give me all that and more Do you remember when the cancer started to grow Do you remember when we started fighting and we didn't even know...

Save Me

They smear stains on my truest form Scotched fingerprints on every crevice of my brittle soul They fall like rain over any surface that defines the essence of my being Weak knees quake I don't ever breathe I break Save me Space encloses me in an asylum that houses stray thoughts They haphazardly attach to the cracks in my voice Sinking feeling I am barely living Save me Night terrors await from behind my door They take me everyday and I can't sleep anymore They nurse me against ghosts from the past They whisper "It will always be just you and us" Save me They drive me to drink On the verge of collapse I linger on the brink The weight of the world crushes my shoulders They throw bricks that hit me like boulders The ground seems to open up so I barrow below Time catches up and my heart beats slow Save me They drag at the seams of my clothing They stire the dust waking sleeping dogs that lie I suffocate cries under my pillow The fea...

Dark Skin

The taste of your skin is reminiscent of the Holy roots of our kin Dark skin your fingertips trace a map of the rich history of where our ancestors have been Dark skin I hold you tight against my belly and my bosom The feel grounds and gathers me under fertile soil so I blossom Dark skin your words are like the intricate anatomy of home Landscapes that spread out as far as the eye can see Dark skin standing beside you is to be honoured as a queen Your love and understanding are a soft pillow that rebels the hardness of how this life has been Dark skin you are reassurance and security The likes of which cannot be compared Dark skin your sadness are the cufflinks that tie your heart to your sleeve Soft and tender I struggle every time you have to leave Dark skin the only doubts have never come from us In your subtitle ways and boundless kindness my tainted heart I entrust Dark skin of your affections the world will never be worthy I daydr...