Skip to main content

Lessons From The Student

Sweet delicate premise
When the glint of his laughter catches itself in the corners of his eyes
His conviction sets him alight
-borrowing from childlike innocence
The fumes embrace my body like the scent of incense

Hands wide he peels me apart
-but never too gently
And with the same ease his fingers gather me
-holding me against his earthy strength
The foliage of trees withstanding years past
He is frenzied dazzle and fire
-I am messy glitter and desire

When he is circled by the primatively possessive  fragrance of my love
- Just the thought of him enchants me
They say we are slaves to the toxic dance of our own heartbeats
- But I remain intoxicated by his clutch
How do we rotate in each other's gravity while uncertain of so much?

So I return home to the only place I feel like I belong
- The spaces we can't help but exist in always seem so wrong
Faces in the crowd: the sparks that ignite time and time again
- But we are addicted to this most righteousness sin
And when I alone
- I am haunted by the places he may have been
Yet he moves me every time when he indulges himself in my skin


He tells me to aim higher
-To do better
He beams with pride when I trust myself and let go
- And when he looks back I hope knows
All I ever wanted to be was a love letter that fed his soul

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you remember

Do you remember when voices from the past called me to your side Do you remember when both our heartbeats were the toughest to hide Do you remember when you called me a gift because to you time had never been too kind Do you remember when you said my stubbornness was my strength and not a weakness Do you remember the holes we patched over like a seasoned seamstress Do you remember when you touched me and it felt so good I couldn't imagine how I had existed with so much less Do you remember when we got home and all you wanted to see was my body underneath that dress Do you remember when you whispered love and chuckled like you were new to this Do you remember when our eyes met and it was as natural as coming up for a kiss Do you remember when you made me laugh until my belly was sore Do you remember when you promised you wanted to give me all that and more Do you remember when the cancer started to grow Do you remember when we started fighting and we didn't even know...

Dark Skin

The taste of your skin is reminiscent of the Holy roots of our kin Dark skin your fingertips trace a map of the rich history of where our ancestors have been Dark skin I hold you tight against my belly and my bosom The feel grounds and gathers me under fertile soil so I blossom Dark skin your words are like the intricate anatomy of home Landscapes that spread out as far as the eye can see Dark skin standing beside you is to be honoured as a queen Your love and understanding are a soft pillow that rebels the hardness of how this life has been Dark skin you are reassurance and security The likes of which cannot be compared Dark skin your sadness are the cufflinks that tie your heart to your sleeve Soft and tender I struggle every time you have to leave Dark skin the only doubts have never come from us In your subtitle ways and boundless kindness my tainted heart I entrust Dark skin of your affections the world will never be worthy I daydr...

Art For Art's Sake

I am a romantic and I am a writer. I could write a library's worth of love letters about a single glance from a passing stranger. Emotion, vulnerability, brokenness are the only things that truly move me. Some writers question your authenticity when all you create is based on feeling. Feeling low, feeling dejected, feeling hurt. But ask yourself, if your art has always been your therapy before you were brave enough to give voice to your fears and tears then who really is the  better writer? Does it even matter? I've been questioned/doubted for my writing style since I can remember. But if it is MY ART. Whatever it is, how do you doubt the validity of words coming from your chest as opposed to your mind? I'm not trying to sound "smart". I am merely trying to find healing through expressing pain in pages. You might think, "one trick pony". It's cool. I get it. But you can never assume to judge me because all I've ever related to is ...