Skip to main content

Sheep in the big city: Chapter One


Moving to Joburg: Day One


I'm at the park station where a struggle and minor squabble ensues between two trolley drivers. This one dude is literally prying some lady's luggage out of the other guy's trolley. When that proves fruitless, disgruntled trolley driver one grabs trolley number 2's actual trolley. At this point, the disagreement intensifies until who must be the manager intervenes.

The drama of it all is so entertaining. I mean who even needs TV?? Real life problems 101.


Arrival update:



At the Park Station.

I don't know how many times I've been asked if I need a trolley to the taxi rank or if I want a power-bank. I've been shaking my head "no" so often that I think my neck might be suffering from minor whiplash. At one point I even considered actually going to the taxis, knowing full well that I'm coming to get picked up...I mean it's 7 in the morning...On a Sunday. If it was up to me, no one would be allowed to talk until midday. Just saying.

Sigh



Arrival update:

-Yeah so cousin picks me up at the station. I have a million and one bags because...options...because usisi wakho uExtra. True to form my head-in-the-clouds self forgets a plastic with my favourite pair of boots in it. About two hours later when it hits me, I consider going back to Park Station. But even a daydreamer like myself knows not to be that optimistic.

- We heading to my cousin's place of work and we get into this taxi that has no doubt seen better days. To be diplomatic let's call it rustic. A not so young throwback of a bygone era. It has character wethu. Very LOUD rattling character, but character all the same.

- Each time a passenger enters or exits the taxi the whole door comes off. The whole thing. And taxi driver man is on a hundred cos we are "destroying" his ride mos. Nqi to assist each time a passenger gets on and off. Nuh he sits in wait for one of us to fuck up, proceeds to seethe and grumbles to himself as he exits the driver's seat to temporarily "fix" the problem!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you remember

Do you remember when voices from the past called me to your side Do you remember when both our heartbeats were the toughest to hide Do you remember when you called me a gift because to you time had never been too kind Do you remember when you said my stubbornness was my strength and not a weakness Do you remember the holes we patched over like a seasoned seamstress Do you remember when you touched me and it felt so good I couldn't imagine how I had existed with so much less Do you remember when we got home and all you wanted to see was my body underneath that dress Do you remember when you whispered love and chuckled like you were new to this Do you remember when our eyes met and it was as natural as coming up for a kiss Do you remember when you made me laugh until my belly was sore Do you remember when you promised you wanted to give me all that and more Do you remember when the cancer started to grow Do you remember when we started fighting and we didn't even know...

Dark Skin

The taste of your skin is reminiscent of the Holy roots of our kin Dark skin your fingertips trace a map of the rich history of where our ancestors have been Dark skin I hold you tight against my belly and my bosom The feel grounds and gathers me under fertile soil so I blossom Dark skin your words are like the intricate anatomy of home Landscapes that spread out as far as the eye can see Dark skin standing beside you is to be honoured as a queen Your love and understanding are a soft pillow that rebels the hardness of how this life has been Dark skin you are reassurance and security The likes of which cannot be compared Dark skin your sadness are the cufflinks that tie your heart to your sleeve Soft and tender I struggle every time you have to leave Dark skin the only doubts have never come from us In your subtitle ways and boundless kindness my tainted heart I entrust Dark skin of your affections the world will never be worthy I daydr...

Art For Art's Sake

I am a romantic and I am a writer. I could write a library's worth of love letters about a single glance from a passing stranger. Emotion, vulnerability, brokenness are the only things that truly move me. Some writers question your authenticity when all you create is based on feeling. Feeling low, feeling dejected, feeling hurt. But ask yourself, if your art has always been your therapy before you were brave enough to give voice to your fears and tears then who really is the  better writer? Does it even matter? I've been questioned/doubted for my writing style since I can remember. But if it is MY ART. Whatever it is, how do you doubt the validity of words coming from your chest as opposed to your mind? I'm not trying to sound "smart". I am merely trying to find healing through expressing pain in pages. You might think, "one trick pony". It's cool. I get it. But you can never assume to judge me because all I've ever related to is ...