Skip to main content

Inception

As I make preparations for the move to Joburg after a successful week I can't help but think back to the beginning of my writing journey.

I was a few years into my boarding school experience. Taking connecting taxis while hitch hiking was a common occurrence- an inescapable reality really for those who had no mode of transport at home. Every Home Weekend it was the same thing. Grab your luggage, get a taxi and carry on until you finally get home. During this time and every other time since taxi drivers had carved out a reputation for themselves.

Uneducated, quick to anger black men who were forced daily to deal with the realisation that they would at no point be more than what they were at the time. It was the dictionary definition of "dead end" job. Where all dreams basically go to die. To say that they were the bottom of the food chain when it came to ambition and education would be putting it mildly. Uncultured angry black man was the consensus and resounding interpretation.

So I am in a taxi back home as usual. I am sitting directly behind the driver. He has phased all of us out- as they do- and he is simply focusing on the road and getting where he needs to be. He then rolls down his window, my eyes for some inexplicable reason follow his actions. After the window is all the way down, he reaches out his free hand. He proceeds to open up his palm, his hand facing the wind. And as we pick up speed, the wind runs through the spaces between his fingers. He starts to drum at the air with his fingertips as if finding music in the air breeze. To me it was almost like he was playing the piano and the notes all existed in the wind and in some place he alone knew of.

I remember feeling like I had somehow found this unsung kindred spirit. Someone who saw so much more than what was readily visible, this was a young man who found solace in his own mind. Someone who was connected to this underlying rhythm that had borrowed elements off of mother nature herself. Someone who existed beyond the here and now. Someone who found peace and belonging in some other realm of being that was outside his current circumstance. A daydreamer.

That was in that moment I witnessed the most extraordinary calling in the most ordinary circumstance. I had this insatiable need to write about this. To put it in black and white. Where this feeling and need came from I could never say. From that day on I drew from human experiences, I drew from the most basic human interactions and connections and coined that my "art".

As a young,black female from the Eastern Cape it never occurred to me that my interpretation of the world as I knew it could someday yield it's own career path. And yet here I am years later struggling to fully comprehend this moment in time for what it truly is. Am I really deserving? Is this some fluke? Am I really realising a dream I never even knew I had?

Much like that one taxi driver who helped me begin my journey by simply listening to and drumming his fingertips to the beat of the wind. I surrender myself to forces beyond myself. And I hope against all hope that my song will lead me and that one day when I am gone. It will be a song worth listening to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you remember

Do you remember when voices from the past called me to your side Do you remember when both our heartbeats were the toughest to hide Do you remember when you called me a gift because to you time had never been too kind Do you remember when you said my stubbornness was my strength and not a weakness Do you remember the holes we patched over like a seasoned seamstress Do you remember when you touched me and it felt so good I couldn't imagine how I had existed with so much less Do you remember when we got home and all you wanted to see was my body underneath that dress Do you remember when you whispered love and chuckled like you were new to this Do you remember when our eyes met and it was as natural as coming up for a kiss Do you remember when you made me laugh until my belly was sore Do you remember when you promised you wanted to give me all that and more Do you remember when the cancer started to grow Do you remember when we started fighting and we didn't even know...

Art For Art's Sake

I am a romantic and I am a writer. I could write a library's worth of love letters about a single glance from a passing stranger. Emotion, vulnerability, brokenness are the only things that truly move me. Some writers question your authenticity when all you create is based on feeling. Feeling low, feeling dejected, feeling hurt. But ask yourself, if your art has always been your therapy before you were brave enough to give voice to your fears and tears then who really is the  better writer? Does it even matter? I've been questioned/doubted for my writing style since I can remember. But if it is MY ART. Whatever it is, how do you doubt the validity of words coming from your chest as opposed to your mind? I'm not trying to sound "smart". I am merely trying to find healing through expressing pain in pages. You might think, "one trick pony". It's cool. I get it. But you can never assume to judge me because all I've ever related to is ...

Dark Skin

The taste of your skin is reminiscent of the Holy roots of our kin Dark skin your fingertips trace a map of the rich history of where our ancestors have been Dark skin I hold you tight against my belly and my bosom The feel grounds and gathers me under fertile soil so I blossom Dark skin your words are like the intricate anatomy of home Landscapes that spread out as far as the eye can see Dark skin standing beside you is to be honoured as a queen Your love and understanding are a soft pillow that rebels the hardness of how this life has been Dark skin you are reassurance and security The likes of which cannot be compared Dark skin your sadness are the cufflinks that tie your heart to your sleeve Soft and tender I struggle every time you have to leave Dark skin the only doubts have never come from us In your subtitle ways and boundless kindness my tainted heart I entrust Dark skin of your affections the world will never be worthy I daydr...